Saturday, July 15, 2017

Its not About the Clothes

After going through my closet full of clothes one day I say to my husband “ I don’t have anything to wear” the irony in that sentence made my husband laugh. He says, “well then what is all of that in your closet” I shrug it off, because I know he is joking with me, “I need new clothes honey”  he goes, “ Didn’t you buy a shirt two months ago, you should wear that” “ yeah, but I need more clothes, I feel like I wear the same things over and over again”  
I believe as simple as this experience was, after reading Poduska Bernards Till Debt Do Us Part, I realized that I was spending money on things that were not valuable such as clothes, because I was never really satisfied. I could have gone out shopping for ten shirts that day and in a couple months get bored of them and want to buy more. Poduska’s principal four on under the ten financial principles says “ Money spent on things you value usually leads to a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Money spent on things you do not value usually leads to a feeling of frustration and futility.”
That was just one of the principles that I believe I have a hard time grasping because we live in such a materialistic world, I believe that, that can be one of Satans tricks for us to risk our financial security. By understanding the the ten financial principles, which are;
1) Financial problems are usually behavioral problems rather than money problems.
2) If you continue doing what you have been doing, you will continue getting what you have been getting.
3) Nothing (no thing) is worth risking the marital relationship for.
4) Money spent on things you value usually leads to a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Money spent on things you do not value usually leads to a feeling of frustration and futility.
5) We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
6) You can never get enough of what you don't need, because what you don't need can never satisfy you.
7) Financial freedom is more often the result of decreased spending than of increased income.
8) Be grateful for what you have.
9) The best things in life are free.
10)The value of an individual should never be equated with the individual's net worth.

We are more able to remember what is most important to us. And use these principles to combat Satan's way of getting into our financial life. And want to leave you with a challenge from church leaders about finances 
“We encourage you wherever you may live in the world to prepare for adversity by looking to the condition of your finances. We urge you to be modest in your expenditures; discipline yourselves in your purchases to avoid debt. … If you have paid your debts and have a financial reserve, even though it be small, you and your family will feel more secure and enjoy greater peace in your hearts”
Resources: 
Till Debt do us Part Bernard Poduska 

No comments:

Post a Comment